I have posted this build thread over on The Bounty Hunter Guild as well, but wanted to reference the finished costume here.
The mask was a latex mask made by Chris – captainspeky and came in unpainted. My wife and I painted it all up and prepped a Zuckuss for the Celebration in Orlando C-VI. This was not accurate, but did the job for visiting Celebration in costume. In an effort for more accuracy we went on a few year venture in making and remaking parts.
We have re-painted the entire mask, re-done the robe 4 times now, re-done the entire harness out of leather to look more accurate and have a costume that should meet approval.
This is where we were 2 revisions ago. We had vinyl pouches, and harness, but decided to go leather route as it would have a better weight and be more accurate with weathering.
Wife winning awards at local comicons.
We took this and the comments returned noted weathering on the coat (which is is really weathered, just hard to capture the brown tones and silver specks). We decided to re-do the coat to be more accurate as the movie one is glossy and reflects quite a bit of silver in it.
Start of re-doing the harness.
Hand sewed all the leather and punched holes to hold together
Added more tones per the tones in the movie.
Looked decent inside and went outside and … too orange. Man was I angry about this, but we thought of a way to fix it.
We had to take the leather back in and soak it in a bath of acetone. It took 2-3 baths to get to a nice color tone. This was a MAJOR pain, but worth it to fix the color issue.
Studying the pictures of Zuckuss I noticed there were no details on the backpack (unlike a lot of the toys show) so we decided to go with cleaner and what the backstage movie shots show:
Left photo shows a great picture of the backpack even though it is dark
Since almost all backpacks of Zuckuss in models and toys reference it in Silver we went with that as well for the backpack.
Another item we reviewed over and over was the part in the center chest between the sections of robe. It looks to be the same coloration as the harness, but underneath the kimono style coat. Based on this, we created a center panel underneath, weathered to match. With this it brings the whole ensemble together and matches the center photo reference above from the movie.
I grayed out the robe and helmet/mask so you can see what I am talking about here:
Tubing was made using fabric covering tubing dipped in latex and painted with latex paints.
Latest coat was done in a canvas coated in glossy and shiny silver spotted to match reference shots. In watching the movie over and over on that scene, most of the silver is not on the coat, but reflective of a gloss or clear coat. Some appears on the coat, but a lot of it seems to shine back and change as Zuckuss moves.
To replicate this we sewed the coat in canvas (which we lined with one of our earlier edition coats so it isn’t super rough on the skin).
We even built a helmet rig so the weight of the Zuckuss helmet is no longer on my wife’s head, but dispersed to shoulders and waist. Can’t find my picture of the rig. I had a video up on facebook somewhere though…
Gloves are made from vinyl still as the ones in the movie look lighter and different than the harness color. So we kept this and weathered minimally just like the movie appears (gloves have less weathering in still shots)
Last thing we added was to make sure the bottles were BOTH represented as there are TWO bottles on Zuckuss.
We wanted to replicate the snare rifle better since the costume was near polished.
Started to cut all of the piping out of polycarbonate and the body out of thick plastic sheets.
Finished after final paint, metal rod added, and staining of the wood grip:
This snare rifle image is even referenced in the latest book (Scum and Villainy!)
Last pic for now:
Really cool seeing my wife get so excited about a costume.
We didn’t have the right chair for a quick shot, so we used a stool.
These images have since been used to create the reference library for the 501st with The Bounty Hunter Guild. It was amazing to see this come to life.
Since these picture, we have even re-worked the helmet a bit and have it sitting more flat per the production photos. Every day is an effort towards accuracy!